Venues Plan for 2022 Commonwealth Games Confirms Sporting Showcase for Birmingham and the West Midlands
The Sport and Venue Programme for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games was confirmed and celebrated today, Friday 19 October, as five Team England medallists joined Birmingham 2022 Chairman John Crabtree and pupils from Mapledene Primary School for a sporting showcase at Birmingham’s National Exhibition Centre – one of the key venue clusters for the Games, which take place from 27 July to 7 August 2022.
17 thrilling sports will take place over 11 days of action-packed competition, at venues across the host city and throughout the West Midlands and beyond.
Over one million tickets will be available – and go on sale closer to the event. All of the venues are already open – with the exception of the new Aquatics Centre planned to be built in Sandwell – and well-established and experienced hosts of world-class sport.
This was a key benefit of the original bid, supporting the Games Partners and Commonwealth Sports Movement’s ambitions to increase the efficiency and affordability of hosting the Games.
For more information CLICK HERE
The confirmed sport programme of 17 sports for Birmingham 2022 are:
- Aquatics (Swimming, Para and Diving)
- Athletics and Para-Athletics
- Basketball 3×3 and Wheelchair Basketball 3×3
- Cycling (Mountain, Road, Track and Para-Track)
- Gymnastics (Artistic and Rhythmic)
- Lawn Bowls (and Para)
- Rugby Sevens
- Table Tennis
- Triathlon (and Para)
- Weightlifting (and Para Powerlifting)
The confirmed venues for Birmingham 2022 are:
- Alexander Stadium (Athletics and Ceremonies)
- Arena Birmingham (Gymnastics)
- NEC Arena (Badminton)
- National Exhibition Centre (Boxing, Judo, Table Tennis, Weightlifting and Wrestling)
- University of Birmingham (Hockey and Squash)
- Villa Park (Rugby Sevens)
- Sandwell Aquatics Centre (Aquatics)
- Sutton Park (Triathlon)
- Cannock Chase (Mountain Biking)
- Coventry Arena (Netball)
- Royal Leamington Spa Bowling Centre (Lawn Bowls)
- Lee Valley VeloPark, London (Track Cycling).
In line with previous Games, the Cycling Road Race and Marathon routes will be confirmed closer to the Games; and ongoing venue-planning and technical assessments may necessitate event host arrangements being subject to change